Science stuff in Brownie Girl Scout Try-Its:
- Building Art - intended to be an introduction to the concepts of architecture, Activity 3 introduces the idea of relative strengths of shapes.
- Earth and Sky - geology, astronomy, and a little biology. Activity 2 lays the groundwork for solar cooking. Activity 7 explains the difference between a solar and a lunar eclipse.
- Earth is our Home - an ecology Try-It, it includes a simple solar cooking activity.
- Math Fun - includes activities on measuring yourself, making an hourglass, estimation, a simple numerical transposition code, a simple spreadsheet, and money math addition.
- Movers - activities involving the wind and flight.
- Numbers and Shapes - tangrams, origami, sheets of paper with only one side, puzzles, rudimentary phases of the moon, shapes in nature.
- Science in Action - science and technology hunt, glop making, blowing up a balloon using chemistry, paper chromatography, a magnet experiment, light and color.
- Science Wonders - making crystals, making bubbles, making recycled paper, curdling milk and invisible writing, a detailed magnet experiment, and static electricity.
- Space Explorer - stargazing, drawing the phases of the moon from observation, space suits, using shadows to tell time, making projectors of constellations
- Water Everywhere - measuring a leaky faucet, demonstrating how fresh and salt water mix (or don't!) under different conditions.
- The Science Spot has links and ideas for activities
- Girls Go Tech
- Engineer Girl
- Bill Nye the Science Guy -- check out his "Home Demos"!
- Crafty Science from About.com
- Mad Science Inedible Experiments
- Boston Museum of Science Virtual Exhibits
- McRel's Whelmers: Accessible Science
- Smithsonian Science and Nature
- JPL's The Space Place
- NRO (National Reconnaissance Office)Web Site for Kids
- NASA's Kids Home
- At Danica McKellar's Web Site:
- Math Doesn't Suck!
- Kiss My Math!
- Figure This - Math Challenges for Families
- National Engineer's Week
- Thinking Fountain
- Dragonfly SciGirls
- Engineer Your Life
- Marine Biology
- Biology for Kids
- Chem for Kids